targetList - A Python list from which the min heap needs to be created.
None. The list is made a min heap in-place.
- The method heapify() of heapq module in Python, takes a Python list as parameter and converts the list into a min heap.
- A minheap is a binary tree that always satisfies the following conditions:
- The root node holds the smallest of the elements
- The subtrees below the root has all the elements greater than or equal to the element at their root. (i.e., The parent elements are less than the children)
- When a new element is added, the “heap property” (i.e., the above two steps) will be applied.
- The function heapify() works in-place.
# Example Python program that makes a Python list into a min heap
# Create a Python list
data = [4, 3, 9, 11, 7, 6, 14]
# Make a minheap
print("Min heap constructed from a Python list is: %s:"%data)
The list is in the min heap form.
Min heap constructed from a Python list is: [3, 4, 6, 11, 7, 9, 14]