Overview of Jython:
- Jython is the implementation of the Python Programming Language targeted for the Java Platform.
- Jython enables Java classes to be imported inside a Python program.
- With Jython, it is also possible to import Jython libraries into a Java Program and execute the embedded Python script from a Java program.
- Jython is developed as an open source project using Java.
- The openhub link for Jython is: https://www.openhub.net/p/jython
Execution of a Jython Program:
- Jython interpreter creates Java byte code on the fly, which is executed by the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
Compatibility with CPython:
- There are certain amount of incompatibilities between the reference implementation and the Jython implementation.
- Like other variants of Python, the releases of Jython lags behind the releases of CPython - the reference implementation of the Python Program Language.
- The Standard Python Library modules of CPython that are written in Python are included in Jython.
- In the same way, any other Python modules written in Python will work seamlessly in Jython.
- However, several libraries of the CPython implementation written in C are rewritten in Jython so that those libraries work for a Jython Program.