The SSL module in Python provides functions and classes to support TLS - Transport Layer Security(or the old and still interchangeably used name SSL).
The TLS specification defines requirements for secure communication between connection oriented sockets.
- The Python SSL module enables Python programs that use connection based sockets with the following
- Privacy (Through Cryptography)
- Integrity (Through Message Digests)
- Authentication (Through Digital Certificates)
- To provide these services the Python SSL module relies on the OpenSSL library (pre)installed in the Operating System.