- The connect() method of Python’s socket module, connects a TCP(Transmission Control Protocol) based client socket to a TCP based server socket.
- The connect() function initiates a 3-way handshake with the server socket and establishes the connection.
- The IP address of a server socket is passed as the parameter to the connect() method.
- Before passing an IP address to the connect() method it is important to make sure, it is of the right type - an IPv4 address or IPv6 address.
- The type of IP address to be used with a socket is specified during the creation of a socket while calling the socket() function through the parameter family. For an IPv4 address socket.AF_INET to be used and for IPv6 address socket.AF_INET6.
- The connect() function makes the accept() to be called on the server socket it is connecting to.
- Once a connection is established to the remote socket the send(), sendall() methods can be used for sending data to the server. In the similar way the recv() function can be used for receiving data from the server socket.
- The recv() function wait for a message to arrive in the socket unless the socket is non-blocking mode and read up to the specified buffer size.
# ----- Python program for querying whois information -----
# Create a TCP socket
# By default family=AF_INET, type=SOCK_STREAM
whoisClient = socket.socket(); # Active open
# Make a connect to the server - Do a 3 way handshake
whoisClient.connect(("whois.avalidwhoisserver.tld", 43)); # Passive open
# Buffer size to receive reply from whois server
bufferSize = 4096;
# Read the whole reply from whois server
data = whoisClient.recv(4096);
lines = data.decode().splitlines();
if(len(lines) > 0):
for line in lines:
Domain Name: EXAMPLE.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2336799_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.iana.org
Registrar URL: http://res-dom.iana.org
Updated Date: 2018-08-14T07:14:12Z
Creation Date: 1995-08-14T04:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2019-08-13T04:00:00Z
Registrar: RESERVED-Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
Registrar IANA ID: 376
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone:
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Name Server: A.IANA-SERVERS.NET
Name Server: B.IANA-SERVERS.NET
DNSSEC DS Data: 31589 8 1 3490A6806D47F17A34C29E2CE80E8A999FFBE4BE
DNSSEC DS Data: 31589 8 2 CDE0D742D6998AA554A92D890F8184C698CFAC8A26FA59875A990C03E576343C
DNSSEC DS Data: 43547 8 1 B6225AB2CC613E0DCA7962BDC2342EA4F1B56083
DNSSEC DS Data: 43547 8 2 615A64233543F66F44D68933625B17497C89A70E858ED76A2145997EDF96A918
DNSSEC DS Data: 31406 8 1 189968811E6EBA862DD6C209F75623D8D9ED9142
DNSSEC DS Data: 31406 8 2 F78CF3344F72137235098ECBBD08947C2C9001C7F6A085A17F518B5D8F6B916D
URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
date of whois database: 2019-06-25T11:51:17Z
For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp
NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the expiration
date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
registrar. Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.
database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and
automated except as reasonably necessary to register domain names or
modify existing registrations; the Data in VeriSign Global Registry
Services' ("VeriSign") Whois database is provided by VeriSign for
information purposes only, and to assist persons in obtaining information
about or related to a domain name registration record. VeriSign does not
guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a Whois query, you agree to abide
for lawful purposes and that under no circumstances will you use this Data
to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail, telephone,
or facsimile; or (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to VeriSign (or its computer systems). The compilation,
repackaging, dissemination or other use of this Data is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of VeriSign. You agree not to
use electronic processes that are automated and high-volume to access or
query the Whois database except as reasonably necessary to register
domain names or modify existing registrations. VeriSign reserves the right
to restrict your access to the Whois database in its sole discretion to ensure
operational stability. VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access to the
reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
% IANA WHOIS server
% for more information on IANA, visit http://www.iana.org
% This query returned 1 object
organisation: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
This information was obtained from a different whois server, so we cannot verify its authenticity.