- Image processing has come to mainstream use through the applications like face detection, tagging of photos, editing and publishing of photos in social media, authentication using fingerprints and facial recognition.
- Pillow is an image-processing library used in Python Programs.
- Pillow has extensive APIs to support image processing which provide methods for
- Geometrical transformations
- Image filtering
- Image enhancement
- Color space conversions of Images
- Statistical analysis of images like histogram
- Processing Image Sequences or Animations formats
- e.g., .FLI, .FLC files, Animated GIF files
- Pillow supports Mac OS, Linux and Windows Operating Systems.
- Pillow supports several of the image file formats including BMP, EPS, GIF, ICNS, IM, JPEG, JPEG 2000, MSP, PCX, PNG, PPM, SPIDER, TIFF, WebP and XBM.
Example: Flipping of an Image
# import image module
from PIL import Image
# Open an already existing image
imageObject = Image.open("./waterfalls.jpg")
# Do a flip of left and right
flippedImage = imageObject.transpose(Image.FLIP_LEFT_RIGHT)
# Show the original image
# Show the flipped image